Food and cooking are comfort to me and this is a household favorite I had to share! Homemade Comfort Food at it’s best. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!Sweet and Sour Chicken, Crispy Cream Cheese Wontons, and Jasmine Rice.
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Red and 1 Green Pepper sliced into thin strips and then halved
- 4 Baby Carrots cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 4 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or 1 clove grated fresh garlic
1. Preheat oven to 350. Rinse chicken and cut into 1 inch cubes. Put chicken, salt, pepper and cornstarch into a freezer bag and coat all the way and then add in eggs. Heat oil in large skillet. Cook chicken until browned. Place on paper towel to soak up any oil and then put chicken in baking dish. Top with peppers and carrots. 3 chicken breasts will fit in a 9×9 dish.
2. Whisk all ingredients of sauce until smooth. Then pour evenly over chicken and vegetables. Stir so the sauce gets on both sides and then put in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. stir well and then cook for 15 more minutes. Oh you are going to LOVE this one…
This recipe was adapted from Made it Ate it Loved it
Crispy Wontons I found on the always awesome Pioneer Woman’s site… edited just a bit over time… I have decided I could pretty much eat anything in a wonton…
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Jalapeño diced tiny
- 1/2 a block of 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp Soy sauce
- 20 Wonton Wrappers
Heat oil on medium high
Mix first 6 ingredients
Place 1 tsp of mixture on each wonton, wet edges of wonton with water and fold into a triangle. Fry each for 45 seconds per side or until brown. Dry on paper towel
If you have leftovers… and my guess is you won’t but wontons are great the next day too… just refrigerate… you can even make these all the way ahead of time and then bake in a 350 oven for 7-9 minutes.
I have an addiction to Jasmine Rice
2 Cups Water to 1 Cup of rice typically
Bring water to a boil, pour in rice, cover with lid, remove from heat… Let sit for 20 minutes (don’t lift the lid early) YUMMMM.